Wednesday 30 January 2008

Mobile Synchronization

I always had a big problem with mobile phones. I usually have 3 mobile phones that have different contacts on them and when I switch phones it is very difficult to find my contacts and it gets even better when I buy a new one.

To solve this problem few months ago I decided to implement a Web base SyncML implementation using PHP and MySQL and I put it online so a few friends can test it and tell me what they think. The url is http://www.thundersync.com but the registration is close and even if it was open I do not have any good documentation on how people could get it to work.

Then I discover that M…….t has a similar protocol called ActiveSync that is used to synchronize a device with the Exchange server. Quest what! This protocol is not open, what a surprise. Some people in OpenChange have done some good work reverse engineering it but it is incomplete. I would really appreciate if someone could point me to a more complete specification so I can implement it.

No comments: